viernes, 11 de marzo de 2011

Carrot-Mung bean salad



Ok, so I’m back, after a couple months of getting used to 2011, having guests and experiencing general mayhem.

For my bday I got Robin Robertson’s Vegan Planet from my friend Lee.  I made this salad based on the ingredients I had at home, so the red bell pepper was green instead, the peanut oil morphed into sesame oil, the Granny Smith apple became some less tart variety (because, for some odd reason, supermarkets only carry imported Granny Smith apples here), and the black mustard seeds were regular mustard-toned mustard seeds, and some steamed broccoli florets jumped into the bowl.

The instructions, I believe, omit the obvious step of cooking the mung beans, but that was rather cute. Frying the mustard seeds is rather a classy touch, which makes this a very aromatic salad. And I added cooked brown rice  at the end to make this a more substantial one-dish meal. It was delish! And I’m glad I had the vision to make double the amount, because fiancée and I just wolfed it down.

Seems to me this will be one of those dishes adored by non-vegans.

Quite a success! 

2 comentarios:

  1. Kika, your salad looks really delicious! I'll have to try that recipe from Vegan Planet.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I love broccoli so I think they improved things by their jumps into your bowl. It does look good as you made it, and I can't imagine omnivores even noticing it is vegan. It's a fancy but typical enough salad dish for all eaters.

    ResponderEliminar